This page contains a comprehensive list of all members of Saskatchewan German Council. Please select an city or town from the list below or scroll throughout the page.
This page contains a comprehensive list of all members of Saskatchewan German Council. Please select an city or town from the list below or scroll throughout the page.
James Funk, President
The SATG exists as a special subject area council under the Saskatchewan Teachers Federation (STF) to provide professional development opportunities for its members and to encourage and promote the teaching of German in the province.
In 1968 the SATG was established with the Saskatchewan Teachers Federation as a special subject area council. As it is a small council, various members alternate doing the different roles. Ingeborg Schlichtman deserves special recognition for her many years of service (two decades!) as our editor (Prisma is published annually).
Christine Galbraith, Administrator
Edenwold, SK S0G 1K0
To act in the interest of the community of Edenwold.
The Village of Edenwold was founded in 1912.
The first German settlers appeared in the community of Edenwold starting in the late 1800s. The Bukowinian Germans who immigrated at the time, for most part, remained in the community and thus, their families formed the root stock of the community today. The Village of Edenwold’s population has increased slightly over the years to where it is today at approximately 226.
Edenwold got its name when Reverend H. Schmieder came to the district of Neu Tulscha in 1889. The appearance of the region reminded him of the Garden of Eden. Because of the abundance of aspen groves, Philip Mang, Sr. remarked that it looked more like the “Woods of Eden”; thus the name “Edenwald” was coined. This name was sent to Ottawa for registration. There, a slight error was made by changing the “a” to an “o” and so we have Edenwold.
Over the past several years, although the number of businesses has decreased significantly, population numbers have increased. Families are enjoying the quiet, small town living. As an added bonus, our community is fortunate to have an excellent preschool and elementary school to grade six.
This past year, our community was fortunate to receive centennial funds through the SGC to beautify our Village Office. Built in 1976, it was in need of spicing up. Since the demolition of the Pool Elevators, the Village of Edenwold did not have a building that signified our Village or German heritage. The funds provided window boxes, shutters, a light stand, plantings, flowers, and paint to enhance the German flair. More upgrades are planned to further develop the German theme.
Katharina Ulbrich, President
To promote German culture and heritage.
The club was founded March 14, 1991 by the following members:
Gerald and Agnes Seipp
John and Rose Gress
John and Cecelia Olheiser
Werner and Veronica Rheindel
Anton and Rose Wanner
The membership traces their roots to the following German-speaking areas of Europe: Germany, Austria, Russia, Hungary, Romania and Switzerland.
The club published a Heritage Cookbook in April 1993.
Ruth Wilson, President
Humboldt, SK S0K 2A0
To encourage Cottage Craft Industry appropriate to the development of Humboldt’s German Theme: “A Little Bit of Germany in the Heart of the Prairies.”
In 1989 Rosa Gebhardt suggested that in addition to German festivals and German-style architecture, a German-based cottage craft industry should be developed in Humboldt to support the overall German theme. Rosa provided momentum for this idea in 1992 when SGC secured Lottery funding for her to become Humboldt’s Artist in Residence. She provided workshops in a wide range of disciplines. Two thriving home businesses and the following impressive group of talented folk artists resulted from this initiative:
Elaina Adams Stained Glass
Byron van Bryce Bauernmalerei (peasant art painting)
Sharon Fetter Bauernmalerei
Kay Freistadt Bauernmalerei
Maria Gossner Bauernmalerei
Marion Hingley Egg Art
Ursula Klassen Bauernmalerei
Jeannie Lukan Bauernmalerei
Rose Rabner Bauernmalerei
Marie Saretsky Dried Flower Creations
Phyllis Strueby Quilted Wallhangings
Ruth Wilson Bauernmalerei
Hilda Simmer Bauernmalerei
In 1998, after a rest interval, and with encouragement from SGC’s Dr. Brian McKinstry, the Folkart Co-op was revived under the guidance of Ruth Wilson. Today, with Ruth’s gift for organization and leadership, the Folkart Co-op is flourishing and expanding.
John Saxinger, President
Humboldt, SK S0K 2A0
To promote the German language, culture and other similar activities for the residents of Humboldt and District.
Since its inception in September, 1985 the Society has been a model of German heritage development in Saskatchewan. Thanks to the membership’s high level of energy and commitment plus the inspirational leadership and dynamic leadership of Rosa Gebhardt, the official motto of the City of Humboldt is now “A Little Bit of Germany in the Heart of the Prairies.” With assistance from the Council, Rosa Gebhardt founded the Humboldt German Theme that consists of three major parts: the development of seasonal festivals in German style, the creation of a cottage craft industry based on German folk arts, and a program of architectural renewal in German half-timbering style. The Society is an important supporter of the attractive Humboldt murals which depict the area’s historical German influence on the walls of many buildings. HDGHS President John Saxinger recently crafted an attractive Cuckoo Clock as a gift from the Society to the city’s new mini golf course. Joe Nosbush is a leading volunteer with a strong record of contribution.
Little German Band
Waldsee Singkreis (German choir)
Waldsee Tanzkreis (German dance group)
Folkart Co-op Humboldt
Leader, SK S0N 1H0
Rosemarie Schleckewy, President
4708 – 49th Street
Lloydminster, SK S9V 0L8
Phone: (306) 825-3177
The aim of the Society shall be to foster the heritage and culture of people from German speaking countries within the framework of Canadian society, through social, cultural and educational activities.
The Lloydminster German Heritage Society was inaugurated late in 1991. The founding members of the Society are Rose Brassard, Hans Strunk, and Heinz Stolle, who are all active today. The majority of our current members were original members of the Society.
The first Oktoberfest was held October 1992 and continues to be held annually on every Friday, October 4.
Our founding members were recognized in 2003 as Special Volunteers by the Saskatchewan German Council. Richard Starke, one of the original members was also recognized in 2004 for his contribution to the Society.
Melville, SK S0A 2P0
To promote and preserve the culture, language, customs and traditions of the people in our area who have German-speaking backgrounds.
“Mit Gott fang an; mit Gott hör auf – das ist der ganze Lebenslauf.”
“Begin with God; end with God – that is how to live a complete life.”
History and Activities:
The German Heritage Club was formed on April 14, 1983. Erna Litzenberger was the first president with Nick Rogalski serving as vice president. Dr. Soorya Basynat enthusiastically managed the establishment of the club and was a strong supporter for many years. A club constitution was drafted on April 28, 1983 and the name was changed to “Melville and District German Heritage Club”. The annual fee was set at $20 per adult member. The first choir practice was held November 7, 1983. Since then the choir has been the inspirational heart of the club.
The club held its first Charter Nite celebration in December, 1983 at the Prince William Hotel. Nick Rogalski signed the official charter on behalf of 99 members. In 1983-84 Hilda Hill and Lil Besler made the club banner. Our first Oktoberfest was held on September 29, 1984. We staged our first Spring Fling dance on April 27, 1984, and have honoured this tradition every year since then. In December of 1985 we held our first St. Nikolaus Christmas tree lighting ceremony at City Hall. This tradition continues every year; 2005 marked our 20th St. Nikolaus ceremony. In 1986-87 we made the Cuckoo Clock float for use in city parades. On June 10, 1993 we staged our 10th anniversary parade and celebration. Over 350 people attended, many of them from other German clubs in Saskatchewan that we invited. The planning committee, under the leadership of Ed Welka, spent a year organizing the event. The Saskatchewan German Council held its Annual General Meeting in Melville that day. Greetings were received from the Council, the City, the German Consulate and other dignitaries. On June 27, 1993 we purchased a hall for use as our club house. On June 19, 1998 we held our 15th anniversary celebration and Dr. Basynat appreciation night, and on November 8, 2003 our 20th anniversary Charter Night celebration was held at the Prince William Hotel.
Our choir participated in Sängerfest 2003 and 2005 in Regina. These events always create wonderful weekends of fellowship and music.
Les Lautner, President
To promote German-Canadian culture and traditions in Prince Albert and District.
History and Activities:
The first German Club in Prince Albert was already active in the 1960s. Its members consisted largely of German immigrants. Some of those early German residents were Manfred and Eugene (Jean) Schultz, Helmut and Hildeberg Eppele, and Kurt and Inge Henze. Meetings were held and get-togethers were organized. They held dances and other cultural events. This group was still active in 1973 when Willie Baessler arrived in Prince Albert. Willie became very involved in promoting the German culture along with the group which was well established. The German families represented in the club and the multicultural group worked together, as they still do today.
The original group became smaller and less active with the passage of time. However, by the late 1980s and early 1990s, new interest was expressed and a new group of Germans decided to form a German cultural club. They called it the Prince Albert Canadian-German Club Waldhorn, and adopted a formal constitution in early 1990. Some of the earliest people involved in this were Dave Buettner, Myron Schmalz, Karl Bastian, and Dennis Hintz. Several of the earlier members continued to be a part of this new group as well. They soon had activities going, such as a language class, a singing group, and a cooking class.
As the years went by, faces changed, different activities were added or changed, and community activities became a big part of who we are. Some of these activities were Oktoberfest, Tapestrama (a multicultural celebration), food booths at various community functions, and even adding our own float in the annual parade.
Today, in 2006, we continue many of these same activities. The German Language School has one class of adults, the choir continues to sing at various community events, the club still serves good German food at different venues throughout the year, and we always have a special social event at Christmas time. We continue to celebrate our heritage in our community and look forward to the future of our club.
Alvin Knoll, President
2715 Wallace Street
Regina, SK S4N 4B9
The American Historical Society of Germans from Russia is an international organization dedicated to the discovery, collection, preservation and the dissemination of information related to the history, cultural heritage and genealogy of Germanic settlers in the Russian Empire and their descendants.
The American Historical Society of Germans from Russian was founded in 1968 in Colorado and is now headquartered in Lincoln Nebraska. The Regina Chapter is one of its 50 International chapters.
The Regina Chapter was chartered on July 14th 1980, and incorporated as a non-profit organization. Our banner was designed of brown jute with logos of a wheat sheaf and a spinning wheel. These represent the agricultural background and culture of our ancestors who accepted the invitation and took up the challenge as “ New Canadians.” They had been led to believe that Canada was the land of “Milk and Honey.” A few were disappointed and some returned home to Russia, some to the USA, while others migrated from the USA to Canada.
A number of years later a lapel pin was designed approximately the size of a Canadian five-cent piece, which is proudly worn by our members. In the center is a Canadian maple leaf and around the circumference is script identifying our chapter.
Through the foresight of Ken Engele, the Regina chapter was formed. Meetings took place initially in the Plains Centre at the University of Regina. Later meetings were held at the facilities of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, then at the German Canadian Society Harmonie, then at the Eureka Club and now at the Regina Senior Citizens Centre.
Our ancestors migrated into the various regions of Russia after 1736. Katherine the Great prompted this migration. An earlier migration from Germany into Moscow took place in 1701. These immigrants were responsible for the educating the children of the Moscow elite and Russian military.
Emigration from Russia to Canada started in the late 1800s and settlers came to Winnipeg, later moving into Saskatchewan and Alberta as the West opened. Some discontented newcomers went back to Russia and some moved to the USA. The Canadian-German settlers were the second largest group; the largest group was the Anglo-Saxons.
In 1984 the Regina and District Chapter hosted the International Convention of the A.H.S.G.R. Approximately 700 people from Germany, Spain, the USA and Canada enjoyed what is believed to have been the most successful International A.H.S.G.R. Convention.
320 Maxwell Crescent
Regina, SK S4N 5Y1
To preserve, celebrate and advance Austrian customs and traditions.
Hunting Club (Jagd- und Fischverein)
Edelweiss Dance Group
Through the years 1953 to 1955 many young Austrian men and women heard the call of a promise for a better future and boarded ships for a two week journey to the land of opportunity, to Canada. For some, the city of Regina became their new home. As Austrian immigration to Canada continued, the new arrivals were drawn together by a shared heritage. They found support, comfort, camaraderie and the opportunity to reminisce about the old country by banding together.
The club was founded in 1972 after John Jost came home one day to find five friends in his living room who wanted to have a place to celebrate all that is Austrian. For seven years the members met at a small clubhouse at 1459 Retallack Street, which John had purchased. Then one day, after speaking with Mayor Baker, the club purchased a piece of wheat field where the spacious club house now stands. Using the skills and trades acquired in Austria, the members volunteered countless hours to construct their present cultural home.
The club has hosted many important events including functions for Prime Minister Paul Martin, Lieutenant Governor Lynda Haverstock and a celebration in 1996 honouring 1000 years of Austrian culture. Besides being an important cultural centre the Edelweiss Club operates a successful restaurant business that serves Regina’s industrial area.
email: das Schulhaus@gmail.com
phone: 306 550 8959
facebook: Das Schulhaus – Regina German Language School Inc.
To found an active non-profit German Language School for the Regina Community and area to teach and promote the German language and culture in a contemporary, efficient and non-political environment
To create a respectful, transparent and collaborative school culture with quality education based on a fresh and lively approach
Das Schulhaus was founded in 2011. The founders of Das Schulhaus — a small group of teachers and parents — wanted to bring a fresh approach to German language instruction and cultural engagement, while continuing the 60-year legacy of earlier institutions.
In October 2011, six women from the Regina German community got together of open a new, fresh, non-profit language school to benefit a community, where 30% of the population are of German heritage and form the largest ethnic group in Saskatchewan.
3737 Wascana Parkway
Regina, SK S4S 0A2
To study and promotion of German language and culture.
The Department of International Languages is a relatively new academic entity at the University of Regina. In 2002, the former Department of Germanic Studies amalgamated with three other languages areas (Chinese, Japanese, and Spanish) to form a larger, more diverse unit. For many years, during its existence as the Department of Germanic Studies, there existed a student-organized German Student Association. At present, students are working towards a revival of this club. Our Department offers Major, Minor, and Certificate programmes in German. The newly created Certificate is a free-standing credential and can be obtained outside of a degree program. Thus, there is opportunity for those at university to expand the knowledge of German that they have acquired at home or in German school, as well as for those who have no prior knowledge of the language or culture but wish to learn more about it.
Each fall semester our Department organizes an international film series. German students sometimes meet at professors’ homes to share their potluck creations. A number of students participate in exchange programes to Germany (Canadian Summer School in Germany, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim) in order to improve their German and learn more about the culture. Many senior-level students apply to work as tutors and language lab assistants, enabling them to experience a very practical application of their knowledge. Members of the German Student Association meet socially on Thursday evenings to speak German and discuss common interests in German culture.
Kerri Van Loosen, President
1727 St. John Street
Regina, SK S4P 1R8
Website: German-Canadian Society Harmonie
To promote mutual understanding of the German and Canadian cultures, and to aid and encourage social and community life among Canadians of German birth or descent in the City of Regina or elsewhere in the Province of Saskatchewan.
Jagd und Fisch Verein (Hunter’s Group)
The Harmonie Society was founded in 1955 with Gustav Fues as the first president. In 1957 the membership moved to its current home on St. John Street. In 1969 the club consisted of 500 families, by 1975 membership had expanded to 1000 families. The club erected a Maypole in 1978 with the name and coat-of-arms of all the subgroups. Winfried Schlosser, a past president of the club, was largely responsible for Regina’s Glockenspiel (12th Avenue and Scarth) as well as for the planting of a symbolic Lindon Tree on the grounds of Government House. The Harmonie Club celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2005. As of 2015, the club has organized their very own dance groups. The children’s dance group is called the kleine Pakete and the adult group is called the volle Lederpaket Schuhplattler Verein.
1727 St. John Street
Regina, SK S4P 1R8
Darlene Rubrecht, President
To promote and perpetuate Mardi Gras (Karneval) in the German Tradition. To promote the mutual understanding of the German and Canadian cultures, and to aid and encourage social and community life among Canadians of German birth or descent in the City of Regina or elsewhere in the Province of Saskatchewan.
K.G. Harmonie was founded February 4, 1970. The founding members were Adolf and Lola Radmacher, Alex and Inge Hermann, Bruno and Anita Ehrlich, Winfried and Erika Schlosser and Eugene and Erna Dauenhauer. Regina’s K.G. Harmonie collaborated with Winnipeg’s Treue Husar and Edmonton’s Blaue Funken to form Western Canada Mardi-Gras Association Inc. which ultimately received its letters patent May 3, 1991.
“Die Liebe geht durch den Magen” – Love starts in the tummy. Not just Schnitzel, founded by Inken Kessel, Jennifer Isermann, Katharina Kettner, Cynthia Sanders. The 27th Nov 2016 saw our very first Cooking Class, at the beautiful kitchen of Schoolhaus Culinary Arts Regina, spotlessly clean, functional, with friendly staff to introduce us to the place and even help
cleaning up after.
Norm Magnin, President
P.O. Box 196
134 Mayfield Road
Regina, SK S4V 0B6
Phone: (306) 757-7729
Fax: (306) 757-6847
German Service: every Sunday at 9:30 a.m.
German Choir rehearsal: every Wednesday at 7 p.m.
German Ladies Aid Group: meets the first Wednesday of the month at 2 p.m.
Contemporary Service: on the last Sunday of the month at 7 p.m. featuring various themes from a Jazz service to a Polka Service and Kinderworship Service.
History of the Trinity Lutheran Church Regina
The beginnings of Trinity reflect the beginnings of the province of Saskatchewan and of the city of Regina.
Between 1901 and 1911 Saskatchewan’s population had increased five times to 492,400, primarily due to significant immigration from Europe. German-speaking immigrants were the largest non-British ethnic group at 68,600. In this new and growing place a group of people came together to share their faith.
On March 4, 1906 the first worship service was held in the John Brodt home, 1964 St. John Street with Pastor George Gehrke of Winnipeg officiating. Pastor Gehrke, at the time, was serving as the traveling missionary in western Canada for the Ohio Synod. Following the worship service 15 women and men signed the constitution and Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church came into being.
Initially the services were held in the Odd Fellows Hall on Robinson and 9th Avenue. In June of the same year Pastor George Duerkop of St. Paul, Minnesota accepted the call to Trinity and became the first resident pastor. In 1907 the first church building and parsonage were built on the 1900 block Ottawa Street. The congregation rapidly outgrew its first church building and by 1913 it was replaced by a second building.
The congregation continued to grow. Most of the members came from Europe and were in search of a new life which offered opportunities for a better life and to practice their faith and adhere to their culture in freedom. At one time 10 per cent of the people living in Regina had an association with Trinity. Because of the high concentration of Germans living around the church, the area became known as “German Town.”
Following the Second World War another wave of immigrants settled in Regina. Trinity also benefited from this immigration influx.
By the late 1950′s the congregation had grown to just under 3,000 members. In order to house this large congregation the present building was constructed in 1961 with a seating capacity of over 700. The Parish Hall was added in 1981.
Trinity’s first church building housed a bell donated by Julius von Ferber. That same bell was moved to the second building when the church building was replaced in 1913. Structural problems in the bell tower saw the bell removed in 1959 and stored until 1984 when it was installed in the then newly constructed bell tower.
In 2002 Trinity and a sister ELCIC congregation, St. Paul’s began a shared ministry under the leadership of Pastor Helmut Nachtigall and Pastor Lindsay Hognestad. St. Paul’s history was similar to Trinity’s in that the congregation was established in 1949 in response to the second large influx of German speaking immigrants. St. Paul’s also offered English and German worship services.
Trinity and St.Paul’s merged on Pentecost Sunday, June 8, 2003. The merged congregation’s home is Trinity. St. Paul’s church building was sold the following year. The altar and furnishings were incorporated in Trinity’s church building and an area dedicated as St. Paul’s Chapel.
This is the only Lutheran Church in the province that still has a German Service.
Alvin Knoll, President
1727 St. John Street
Regina, SK S4P 1R8
To sing and perform beloved German songs in four-part harmony.
The Volksliederchor was born in 1955 and the first rehearsal was held in the basement of St. Mary’s Catholic Church on Winnipeg Street. The choir has greatly benefited from the talented leadership of many outstanding music directors: Otto Beigler, Werner Gebhardt, Johanna Janisch, Dr. Norbert Hoffman, Dr. Hallgrimur Helgason, Ralph Wetzstein, Gordon Glaicar and James Hoffmann. The choir had 45 members in 2005, pleasingly arranged as sopranos, altos, tenors and basses. The choir hosted the first ever Regina Sängerfest in 1978. In 1981 it traveled to Bismark, North Dakota and gave a concert in honour of the city’s 100th Anniversary. The choir hosted Sängerfest again in 1990 and for the third time in 2005 to coincide with the Saskatchewan Centennial.
When not hosting Sängerfest, the choir always participates in the event whenever it is held in Western Canada. Numerous concerts are presented each year at different venues: in churches, at seasonal festivities in the Harmonie Club, at senior homes, at the SGC Treffpunkt celebrations, at Mosaic and in various towns and cities throughout Saskatchewan. The choir practices weekly at the club. Lots of fundraisers are held to support the singing. Two music tapes were made in 1993, and in 2005, a CD was made to celebrate 50 years of German song in the Queen City.
To gather, share and preserve information about Zichydorf and the immediate surrounding area and the families whose histories are associated.
1) To complete each individual member’s family history.
2) To put these histories in context – pre-Zichydorf, Zichydorf, post Zichydorf, relationships to other families, and what became of those who stayed behind.
3) To create a legacy of information for future generations.
The Association was formed online on February 19, 1996 by Barry Anwender and Laura Gyzyb to connect genealogical researchers of people from the Zichydorf area of the southern Banat province of the former Austro-Hungarian Empire. A couple of weeks later these two, along with Glenn Schwartz, formed the physical organization in Regina. It now boasts well over 100 members from all over North America and a few in Germany. The Association facilitates family research by connecting researchers with common ancestors and compiles and retains a pool of information which can be shared online and by mail with other Zichydorf descendents. Zichydorfers started emigrating in the 1890s and there are groups in Canada, Germany, Australia, Brazil and the USA.
An important resource is the two volume Geschichte der Gemeinde Zichydorf, by Johann Achtzehner, which has been translated into the English History of the Community of Zichydorf by Liz Hugel (nee Grob) of Regina. The book describes the life of Zichydorfers from its founding until after World War II.
Many people from southern Saskatchewan, particularly the Regina area, can trace their roots to immigrants from Zichydorf who began arriving around the turn of the century until the recent past. However, with the passage of time, most of them no longer know about their shared history. The ZVA aims to connect people researching their common past and educate them about their common history.
Phyllis Imhoff, E.D.
St. Walburg, SK S0M 2T0
To preserve and restore the Imhoff Historical Heritage Site and its buildings. The Society is also concerned with the promotion of this site worldwide as a unique Canadian cultural and heritage site.
Nestled in the prairie bluffs of the rolling plains near St. Walburg in northern Saskatchewan stands one of the most unique art galleries in North America. The gallery was built in 1920 by the German-Canadian liturgical artist Berthold von Imhoff (1868-1939) who lived and painted there for 25 years. Imhoff painted more than 110 church interiors during his prolific career, mostly in Pennsylvania, but also at least 12 churches in Saskatchewan. St. Peter’s Cathedral near Muenster, Saskatchewan is one of his masterpieces. A bronze statue of the artist on horseback by Saskatchewan sculptor Susan Velder has been a tourist attraction in St. Walburg since 1998. It has been said that Imhoff paintings are able to open windows between heaven and earth. The studio and farm site was awarded a Provincial Heritage Designation in 2005.
Imhoff created “The Glory of Prince Frederick William” (King of Prussia for 90 days), at age 16, a painting that won him the Art Academy Award of Berlin in 1884.
Many Imhoff paintings are on exhibition in Lloydminster at the Barr Colony Heritage Cultural Centre.
The artist was knighted by Pope Pious XI in 1937.
Sigrid Kirmse, Host
267 3rd Avenue South
Saskatoon, SK S7K 1M4
Deutsche Programme in Musik und Wort den Hörern des Senders jeden Sonntag zu vermitteln.
Das Programm wurde im Dezember 1977 als eines der ethnischen Programme beim Sender SJUS der U of S von Sigrid Kirmse und Margret Asmuss begonnen. Nach Margret folgte Joel Falk als zweiter freiwilliger Helfer. Reinhold Ortlepp war danach am längsten zweiter Gastgeber der Sendung. Das Programm wurde aus technischen Gründen von einer Stunde auf ein halbe Stunde reduziert. Von der MUB zog die Radiostation in das Education Building der Universität um. Nahezu von Anfang an konnten Programme der Deutschen Welle in die Sendungen einbezogen werden. Nachdem der Sender 1995 aus finanziellen Gründen geschlossen wurde, begannen Sigrid und Reinhold das Programm beim kommunalen Radiosender CFCR weiterzuführen. Die Sendezeit ist heute noch die gleiche wie damals, von 13 Uhr bis 15 Uhr gibt es jeden Sonntag deutsche Unterhaltung im Radio. Nach Reinhold folgten Byrun van Bryce und Helge Struthers als Co-Moderatoren. Sigrid Kirmse, die weiterhin die Sendung leitet, erhielt bereit mehrere Auszeichnungen für ihre freiwillige Arbeit. Von der deutschen Gemeinde Saskatoons und Umgebung wurde sie zum 10jährigen Bestehen der Sendung ausgezeichnet. Vom Radiosender erhielt sie eine Auszeichnung für „Outstanding Contibution to Community Broadcasting”, vom Deutschen Botschafter erhielt sie den German-Canadian Friendship Award und vom Saskatchewan German Council den Special Volunteer Award.
Rock, Pop, und Schlager
Ende 2004 gestaltete Sabine Doebel-Atchison jeden zweiten Sonntag im Monat ein Programm für jüngere Zuhörer mit Rock-, Pop- und Schlagermusik. Dieses Programm wurde nun von Thorsten Brendel übernommen. Das wird wird zwischen 13 Uhr und 15 Uhr gesendet und kann auch auf www.cfcr.ca gehört werden. Liederwünsche werden gerne angenommen.
The Concordia Alpenrose Schuhplattler Verein was founded in 1981 with an objective to practice and perform German folk dance. Over the last 30 years, the group has been entertaining at events across Saskatchewan, Canada and the United States. They can also be seen performing at the German Cultural Centre during Saskatoon’s Folkfest and Oktoberfest.
The group has a beautiful collection of traditional costumes, each varying in appearance based on the region it comes from. Through the years the costumes have been handmade by different individuals or ordered from European specialty shops.
The group is a member of the Saskatchewan German Council and holds an associate membership with the Gauverband Nordamerika, an organization dedicated to preserving and perpetuating the cultural heritage of Bavaria and Tyrol.
They currently have 15 dancers, ranging in age from 17 to 50, and are always looking to expand their membership. They practice weekly, there are no membership fees and no dance experience is necessary!
160 Cartwright Street
Saskatoon, SK S7T 1B1
Statement of Purpose:
The principal purposes of the club are as follows:
a) To provide for its members, regardless of their nationality, creed, religion, colour or social standing, opportunities to meet in regular intervals for social, educational or cultural reasons;
b) To promote, in its members and their families, and in the community, an understanding and appreciation of the Germanic culture and heritage.
The German Canadian Club Concordia was founded in 1957 by Eugen P. Boensch and a handful of immigrants who were willing to serve as directors of the Club. The members socialized at several venues all over Saskatoon until the present location was purchased. After enthusiastic volunteers had completely renovated the old “Chicken Inn” the Concordia Club opened its doors in 1968.
The large hall was built in 1986-87 under the presidency of Herb Pexa in the old German Fachwerk style. In honour of the founding president, the hall addition was named “Eugen Boensch Halle”. At the end of 1987, a beautiful Gasthaus lounge and “Edelweiss” dining room opened. The lounge sports a large Kachelofen (ceramic tile fireplace) and also a Stammtisch and a bar to give it character.
Alpenrose Schuhplattler Verein (senior dancers), Concordia Brass Band, German Language School Saskatoon,Jagdclub Wildschütz (hunters), Skat Club (German card game), Volksliederchor Concordia (choir).
Barbara Stehwien, Coordinator
371 Crean Crescent
Saskatoon, SK S7J 3X1
To keep alive the tradition of German folk dancing and represent the German culture at multicultural festivals in and around Saskatoon. To research the rich and varied culture of our homeland and present lesser known Trachten (traditional dress) and dances from all areas in Germany (which has so much more to offer than Lederhosen and beer!).
Folk dancing for youth has been in Saskatoon for over 30 years. An early group was organized in 1972 and dissolved in 1985. They apparently had the honour to dance once for the Queen. Another folk dance group was organized in 1985, as an extension of the German Language School. Gudrun Lettrari instructed and Folkfest was the annual highlight of the German Junior Alpine Dancers until 1998.
Today’s dance group, the German Junior Folk Dancers, is an independent junior dance group, which is also a member of the Saskatchewan Intercultural Association as well as Dance Saskatchewan. Gudrun Lettrari retired from teaching, realizing that one of the group’s dancers was showing interest in continuing as an instructor. Amanda Stehwien has been teaching for 4 years now, expanding into giving workshops along with her mother Barbara and good friend Gudrun. An adult recreational group was also started and with research into new dances, a lot of fun and variety has resulted. The new website has had far reaching effects, with contact to Australia and invitations to dance across Canada and the US as well as offers for exchanges with dance groups in Europe. A great future!
The group is run entirely by volunteers, parents of dancers being instrumental in helping out. Our own costume designer and consultant, Saskatoon artist Waltraude Stehwien has also donated many hours towards our new look, a beautiful northcentral German costume and our newest one from northern Germany. Our logo is also her design.
The German Language School Saskatoon/Deutsche Sprachschule Concordia was rejuvenated in the fall of 1983 by Leslie Angele with the support of the Multicultural Council and the German Concordia Club. Classes for different levels were held Monday and Wednesday for adults and on Saturday for children.
At first classes were held at St. Matthew’s School before moving to Holy Cross School and then to the present location of Aden Bowman Collegiate. Some of the first teachers were Agnes Amundrud, Doris Bietenholz, Linda Prefontaine, Rita Verma and Moni McKinstry.
Since its founding in 1983 the German Language School has had four principals: Leslie Angele, Byron van Bryce, Marie Hüttemann and now Gabi Waidelich-Harrison.
Starting a language school is not an easy job. The principal has to find teachers who will commit their time and effort to the school. Obtaining teaching material is a challenge. Also, applying for grants to keep the school running is a very important part of the coordinator’s job.
At its high point the school had more than 130 students enrolled. Cultural activities include: St. Martins Feier, St. Nikolaus Besuch, Weihnachtsfeier, Kinderfasching and spending time at the language camp. The school year usually ends with a picnic.
Typically 70-80 students have enrolled each year. Besides learning through schoolbooks and workbooks, each teacher also has individual ideas for more class activities such as crafts, picnics, playing games or singing together.
As for teaching materials, the school has a library with books, audio-visual materials and games for all age groups. Teachers also create their own games, flashcards and posters.
Just as many other language schools, the Saskatoon German Language School is also a Heritage Language School. The Saskatchewan Organization for Heritage Languages (SOHL) operates as the umbrella organization for schools in Saskatchewan. As an example of SOHL’s work, workshops are offered to assist language teachers in a variety of topics related to teaching.
Currently the school offers several children and adult classes at Aden Bowman Collegiate in Saskatoon.
Classes start at the beginning of September and run until the first week of May and include:
Some of our teachers also participate in a program called “Mini Language Lesson Program” which places heritage language teachers into the regular school classroom to teach eight lessons on their language, culture and country.
Department of Languages and Linguistics
University of Saskatchewan
9 Campus Drive, Room 522 Arts
Saskatoon, SK S7J 4H7
To promote the German language and culture among students and faculty of the University of Saskatchewan.
In 1995, the students of German at the U of S decided to form a German student youth group to develop opportunities for their social gatherings, to create activities to speak German and to experience German culture outside the classroom.
Fall and spring German language immersion weekends (Sprachwochenende) are held annually at St. Peter’s Abbey east of Humboldt. Students of German from the University of Regina often attend as well, bringing the combined attendance of students, guests and faculty close to 60 participants. Language-focused games and presentations are carried out in a “no-English” environment that facilitates learning. Approximately one-half of the participants speak fluent German, which provides the students with many opportunities to improve their language skills. In the past, St. Peter’s Abbey has reduced its room rates to encourage this student activity.
The students of the Association represent several areas of academic study including German, music, philosophy, history, sociology and science. Many have visited Germany at one time and most have plans to do so.
Ulrike Hecker, Teacher
To provide an opportunity for each child to participate in a program that emphasizes German heritage including language, culture and traditions, and to help the child develop in all aspects, particularly socialization.
The Pre-Kindergarten was founded in 1985 by Sigrid Kirmse and Leslie Angele. Sigrid Kirmse was the first teacher. Other teachers included Marie Astaloch and Monica McKinstry. The current teacher is Ulrike Hecker.
Phone: (306) 292-2117
Dr. Michael Oelck, Chair
Shelley Hungness, President
160 Cartwright Street
Saskatoon, SK S7T 1B1
Our organization is devoted to promoting Skat and organizing Skat tournaments.
Skat is right at home in SaSKAToon. The Skat Club was founded in 1969. The first club champion was Hermann Schnackenberg. The club has twice hosted the North-American Skat Championship in Saskatoon. A team of four Saskatoon Players, Werner Röwekamp, Hans-Jürgen Steinmentz, Willi Halt and Wilfried Eckl won the title of Canadian Skat Champion in 1990 in Montreal. Skat Club members have been participating at European and World Championships since 1992.
One of the club members, Hans-Jürgen Steinmetz, is also the president of the ISPA(International Skat Players Association) Canada and a player for the Canadian National team. The Canadian National team, which has 12 players from across Canada, has won numerous international medals and championships. In 2006 and 2008 the National team won back to back titles at the World Championship’s.
Every year the Skat Club hosts a tournament for players from all over North America.
The Skat Club Saskatoon plays two rounds of Skat every Wednesday beginning at 6:30 p.m.
What is Skat?
Skat is the national card game of Germany and one of the best card games for three players. It was invented around 1810 in the town of Altenburg in Thuringia, about 40 km south of Leipzig, Germany. Skat is played by 20 million people worldwide. The governing world body of Skat is the International Skat Players Association (ISPA).
Jacob Knelsen, Secretary
Hours of Operation:
July through August
Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays & Holidays
2 p.m. to 7 p.m.
The Mennonite Heritage Village was founded in 1992 to establish a historical Mennonite Village depicting the life and times of early settlers in the Swift Current area, and to develop appreciation for the contributions made to this country by Mennonite immigrants.
To achieve this, we generate educational and recreational programs as well as collect, restore and maintain authentic artifacts depicting the historical era from the 1880s to the 1920s.
The Mennonite Heritage Village is classified as a Living Museum, and as such aims at obtaining standards for the site as outlined by the Museums Association of Saskatchewan.
They came in the early 1900s to breathe a soul into a barren land. They came to plant for success. They were a people who got up when they fell down. They achieved their goals with a strong will, a settled purpose and invincible determination. “And God let the hungry live because they sowed fields and planted gardens and the yield was fruitful.”
Heritage Favourites (2005): a recipe book featuring grandma’s favourite dishes
The Mennonite Heritage Village house-barn is a good example of a typical home in a village setting. The siding, shingles, windows and shutters have all been restored to be as original as possible. All funds necessary for the moving and restorations have been collected through donations and fundraising efforts. The house, which is located on the Mennonite Heritage Village site, comes from Rhineland, just south of Swift Current. It was built in 1911 and moved to Swift Current in 1992. Homes and buildings were erected by the settlers through house-raising bees or barn-raising bees. The homes were built using a common blueprint and housing type brought with the early settlers from Europe and Russia.
The Homesteader Gardens are a wonderful attraction at the Mennonite Heritage Village, and bring many visitors to the site each summer. Our vintage gardens showcase many types of plants and flowers that are native to this area. Others are grown from seeds brought over from Europe and Russia, and include lilies, bachelor buttons, roses and hollyhocks. With all the different types of plants in our gardens, guests are treated to spectacular blossoms from spring right through to fall.
Gouldtown Sommerfeld Mennonite Church:
The Gouldtown Sommerfeld Mennonite Church was built by the Goudltown homesteaders in 1914. It is undergoing exterior restorations made possible from donations and volunteer support. This church structure is a good example of using traditional building styles. It is similar to early Mennonite churches that were built in Europe as far back as the 16th century. The interior and exterior of the church show an ideal of simplicity by the Mennonite people and is one of the reasons they are still standing today.